CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme
For PhD Candidates from Developing Countries
CAll for Applications
According to a new agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world, up to 140 students/scholars per year from the developing world will be sponsored to travel to China for up to four years’ of PhD study and research.
The CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars from developing countries with the opportunity to pursue PhDs at University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) and/or institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the new CAS-TWAS agreement, TWAS will be responsible for providing round-trip travel support for 50 awardees each year to and from China, or for providing one way travel support for 80 awardees each year to China. TWAS will make active efforts to secure additional funds to cover more awardees for travel supports. In addition, TWAS will also cover visa related expenses and a contribution to excess luggage fees for stays in China of more than 12 months.
CAS will be responsible for a monthly payment to cover accommodation and living expenses.
Successful applicants will receive a monthly stipend (including living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7,000 (approx. USD 1,100) or RMB 8,000 (approx. 1,250) from CAS through UCAS, depending on whether he/she has passed a qualification test arranged by UCAS for all PhD candidates after admission.
The Fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice within one year will face the consequences including:
1. termination of his/her Fellowship;
2. discontinuity of his/her PhD study at UCAS;
3. getting a diploma of completion
All the procedures will adhere to UCAS regulations and rules.
Awardees of the Fellowship will be exempted from tuition fees.
The funding duration of the Program is 4 years, divided into::
• Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralized training at the International College of UCAS (IC-UCAS) on Beijing
campus, including 4 months compulsory courses in Chinese Language and Culture.
• Practical research and completion of degree dissertation at UCAS colleges, schools and CAS institutes.
General conditions for applicants:
• Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her this fellowship;
• Be a national of a developing country other than China;
• Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in a developed country;
• Be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
Applicants for PhD Study Scholarship should also:
• Meet the admission criteria set for international students by UCAS (please refer to http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78Be maximum age of 35 years on 31 December in the year of application
• Have a master degree before the beginning of the fall semester.
• Provide evidence that he/she will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China according to CAS-TWAS agreements.
• Provide proof of knowledge of English or Chinese language e.g. studies taken in these languages, certificates etc.
• Provide recommendation letters from two professors in a relevant field, for example the applicant’s supervisor at the home institution or head of department and/or an eminent scientist from outside the home institution. If a TWAS member is familiar with the applicant’s work he may ask him/her for a letter of support. Due to privacy reasons, TWAS cannot provide contact details of TWAS members.
How to apply for the Fellowship
1．Download and fill in the “Admission Application Form for International Students of UCAS” (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78 ) and “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” (See the attachment), and submit these two application forms (Supervisor’s Comment Pages not to be included) with the following materials to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS:
• Notarized photocopy of the highest degree certificate (This year's graduates provide a pre-graduation certificate);
• Notarized photocopy of the transcript of all undergraduate or graduate study;
• Curriculum vitae and detailed research proposal;
• Photocopy of the first page of a regular passport
• Photocopy of the title page and abstract of each published academic paper;
• Foreigner Physical Examination Form;
• Payment certification of the application processing fee (RMB 600, see the “Admission Application Form for International Students of UCAS” for more details.
Note：Applicants may submit scanned copies of the required application document via email. After receiving the offer of the scholarship, applicants are required to send the original notarized photocopy of their highest degree certificate and the original notarized photocopy of the transcript of their undergraduate or graduate study to IC-UCAS. The detailed requirements and contact information of IC-UCAS will be provided in the admission offer documents sent to the awardees.
2.Contact professors affiliated with UCAS colleges, schools and CAS institutes (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Academics) and get agreement from a Professor to be your tutor (supervising professor).
3. Send the Supervisor’s Comment Pages in the “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” to your host supervisor/ tutor (supervising professor in China), and ask him/her to fill in the comment pages. Make sure that your host supervisor/tutor (supervising professor) will send the completed “comment pages” directly to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS
4. The applicant must obtain recommendation letters from two professors in a relevant field, for example the applicant’s supervisor at the home institution or head of department and/or an eminent scientist from outside the home institution. If a TWAS member is familiar with his/her work the applicant may ask him/her for a letter of support. Due to privacy reasons, TWAS cannot provide contact details of TWAS members.
5. The applicants who do need travel support for international travel to and from China, should provide a separate written request and send the request together with the “Application Form for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship” to the Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme at UCAS. CAS will coordinate with TWAS to process and make decision on travel support issues.
15 June 2013
• Early applications are preferred
Office of CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
19A Yuquanlu, Beijing, 100049 China
Tel: +86 10 88256424; 88256206
Fax: +86 10 88256207
TWAS Fellowships Office
TWAS, the academy of sciences for the developing world
ICTP Campus, Strada Costiera 11, 34151, Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240314
Fax: +39 040 2240689
CAS is a national academic institution in China consisting of a comprehensive research and development network, a merit-based learned society and a system of higher education, focusing on natural sciences, technological sciences and high-tech innovation in China. It has 12 branches, 2 universities and more than 100 institutes with around 60,000 staff and 50,000 postgraduate students. It hosts 89 national key labs, 172 CAS key labs, 30 national engineering research centers and about 1,000 field stations throughout China. As a merit-based society, it has five academic divisions. CAS is dedicated to addressing fundamental, strategic and farsighted challenges related to the overall and long-term development of China. CAS and TWAS have had a close and productive relationship for many years, often involving TWAS's Regional Office for East and Southeast Asia and the Pacific (http://www.twas.org.cn/twas/index.asp). Read more about CAS:http://english.www.cas.cn/
UCAS is a research-intensive university with around 40,000 postgraduate students, supported by more than 100 institutes (research centers, laboratories) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), which are located in 25 cities throughout China. Founded in 1978, it was originally named the Graduate University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the first graduate school in China with the ratification of the State Council., UCAS is headquartered in Beijing with 4 campuses and is authorized to grant doctorate degrees in 39 primary academic disciplines, offering degree programs in ten major academic fields, including science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, education and management science. UCAS is responsible for the enrollment and centralized management of the PhD candidates of the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme.
Read more about UCAS: http://www.ucas.ac.cn/
TWAS is an autonomous international organization, founded in 1983 in Trieste, Italy, by a distinguished group of scientists from the South under the leadership of the late Nobel laureate Abdus Salam of Pakistan. It was officially launched by the secretary-general of the United Nations in 1985. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in the South. Read more about TWAS: http://twas.ictp.it/
1. APPLICATION FORM FOR CAS-TWAS PRESIDENT’S FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
2. ADMISSION APPLICATION FORM FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS